OK, I know it is spring and it is time for fresh fruit and cookouts BUT it is rainy and dreary out here and according to the weather reports could be for several more days. I have had several friends ask for my Tortilla Soup recipe….well here it is and for the record….it is my sons. He has taken after my hubby and is a great cook. So if you feel like soup…this is yummy!!!
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder (just do it to taste..if you like a little more…go for it!!)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3(10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked ( we use frozen or fresh and I use more than this)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Small pkg of boneless chicken thighs, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (he insists on NOT using breasts but I use a whole roasted chicken occasionally!)
- Juice of 1 lime!!!!!! Important!
- crushed tortilla chips (he fries corn tortillas…yea right, I will leave that to him and Greg)
- sliced avocado
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped green onions
- Sour cream
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, chilies, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Right before serving squeeze the juice of 1 lime into pot. This really makes the soup!!!!!! Or you can squeeze a wedge into your bowl…
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, sour cream and chopped green onion.
If you like it hot use hot green chilies and the cayenne. That’s it and it is really yummy!!! Enjoy!!!