Today was cold and snowy out so I wanted to make some warm comfort food for dinner. I tried a recipe from my favorite magazine (Southern Living) tonight and it was so great I thought I would share!!! Do you love lasagna but hate to make it because it is such a pain? Well, this is close and so easy. My husband said it was his new favorite meal. I just added a caesar salad (in the bag) and it was so good. Let me know if you liked as much as we did!
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 (8-oz.) package medium egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Italian six-cheese blend
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare egg noodles according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle ground beef with 1 1/4 tsp. salt and Italian seasoning. Cook beef in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink.
3. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes; stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 8 minutes.
4. Microwave cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 20 seconds. Stir in sour cream and green onions. Stir cream cheese mixture into hot cooked noodles.
5. Place noodle mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture; sprinkle with shredded Italian cheese.
6. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Note: To lighten, substitute low-fat or fat-free sour cream and 2% reduced-fat cheese.