Today was the first day of fall and it was so beautiful outside! It was so sunny, cool and crisp out. I love, love fall in West Texas. It makes me dream of a crackling fire, a cup of hot spiced tea or cocoa, and comfort foods. Speaking of comfort food…my hubby made a huge pot of his famous stew tonight and the other night I did a bad, bad thing…I made this wonderful recipe that my sweet friend Brittany posted on her blog. OMG!! It is wonderful!! Apple Dumplings…need I say more. It was so easy and sooo good and calorie free!! Yeah right! Thank you Brittany!
Easy Apple Dumplings
2 medium Granny Smith apples
1 (8-count) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 teaspooon vanilla extract
1/2 cup very finely chopped pecans
1. Preheat ovent to 350F. Grease an 8-inch-square baking dish.
2. Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into fourths. Unroll and separate crescent roll dough. Wrap each apple section in a crescent roll. Place in pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
3. Combine butter, sugar, and orange juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over dumplings. Sprinkle pecans over top.
4. Bake 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and beginning to boil and apples are just tender when pierced with a fork.
5. To serve, spoon some of the syrup from the baking dish over dumplings. Serve with ice cream, if desired. Serves 8.
(I drizzled caramel sauce warmed in the microwave over the top once in the bowl……just for added calories!! hehe)